Essay Topic: Lessons of the Cold War
Be sure to follow all formatting guidelines provided in the syllabus. Your final work product must have a cover page with a word count, an essay that is 3-4 pages in length and a works cited page. The minimum writing requirement expectation is three full pages. If the minimum expectations are not met, the assignment will be marked incomplete. Be sure to provide a proper citation in APA format for all works consulted on a separate works cited page.
Write an essay covering each of the following questions about the cold war of 1945-1991.
Please make sure that all the following questions are well answered in the essay.
1. What was the Cold War (1945-1991) and why was it given that title?
2. Why was the United States seen as the winner in the Cold War? How was this accomplished without nuclear war?
3. What are the major lessons of the Cold War? How are those lessons impacting decision making today?
4. What lessons have not been taken into account in modern American foreign policy decisions? What risks are associated with repeating the mistakes of the past?
5. How can the War on Terror be characterized as a by-product of the Cold War? Can the lessons of the Cold War provide a strategy for victory in the current conflict?