LW 4401 Legal Studies Assessment
Please choose one of the following titles
Essay Title One
The Domestic Violence Act 1996 (as amended) lacks capacity to give comprehensive protection to vulnerable members of families who are the victims of domestic/familial violence.
In light of this, discuss the requirements for a victim of domestic abuse in Ireland to obtain a civil remedy under the 1996 Act. Refer to relevant legislation and case-law in your answer and outline any relevant reform proposals.
• Alan Shatter, Family Law (4th Edition) (Dublin, Buttersworth, 1998)
• Jim Nestor, An Introduction to Irish Family Law, (4th Edition) (Dublin, Gill & Macmillan, 2011)
• Claire Hamilton, Irish Social Work and Social Care Law, (Dublin, Gill & Macmillan, 2012)
• Law Society Law Reform Committee, Domestic Violence – The Case for Reform, (Dublin, Law Society, 1999) available on www.lawsociety.ie
• Health Service Executive, Policy on Domestic, Sexual and Gender-Based Violence, (Dublin, HSE, 2011a) available on www.hse.ie