POLITICAL SCIENCE 631:
SEMINAR IN RESEARCH METHODS
& : &
DUE AT THE BEGINNING OF THE CLASS PERIOD ON February 27, 2013.
PLEASE TURN IN ELECTRONICALLY TO BLACKBOARD LEARN.
Go to the ICSC Web site (works best on Google Chrome or most recent Internet Explorer):
I. Complete ONLY the first half of Part C of Exercise 1: Getting Started and answer only questions 6-7.
Questions for Exercise 1: Getting Started
C. Learning and Practicing: Running and Interpreting Frequencies
NOTE: The frequency on LEADGRP in question 6 below is a correction from the Web site. Please do your frequency and explanation on LEADGRP.
6. (2 points) How is “LEADGRP” coded and what is the level of measurement? Explain why it is this level of measurement ( explain it very clearly ).
7. (3 points) What does the frequency of those who have served as group officers in 1987 reveal about what Putnam calls “active participation?” What happens it the next decade, according to Putnam? What evidence does he provide for this?
- Please Copy and Paste the table illustration you got from the website
II. Complete Part B of Exercise 2: Social Change and answer Part A, questions 1-3
Questions for Exercise 2: Social Change
1. (2 points) According to Margaret Talbot in The New York Times review, what was the major criticism of the “Bowling Alone” thesis? Do you think Putnam addresses this criticism in his book? Why or why not?
2. (2 points) In The American Prospect review (to find this on the Web site, search the title “Putnam’s America), what is Gary Wills’ major objection to Putnam’s thesis?
3. (1 point) How is Will’s objection similar and/or different from the major criticism discussed in Talbot’s review?