policy analysis of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) (minimum 5 pages).
The paper must include an unbiased discussion of all sides of the issues, impact on existing programs/agencies, costs to implement, relevant statistics, role of government (federal/state) and the influence of special interest groups.
In addition to the summary/conclusion, the student may include a final section explaining his/her opinion and recommendations based on information presented in the paper.
California State University, East Bay
HSC 3300 Health Care Systems in the United States
Instructions for Written Assignment #2
Due on or before Sunday August 21, 2011 by 1155PM
All students complete a policy analysis of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) (minimum 5 pages).
- The paper must include an unbiased discussion of all sides of the issues, impact on existing programs/agencies, costs to implement, relevant statistics, role of government (federal/state) and the influence of special interest groups.
- In addition to the summary/conclusion, the student may include a final section explaining his/her opinion and recommendations based on information presented in the paper.
The written paper is to be prepared in accordance with the following guidelines and must contain all of the following components:
- TITLE PAGE (Follow APA guidelines)
- ABSTRACT- Limit the abstract to 150 words. Do not repeat the title at the beginning of the abstract and do not cite references in it. Avoid abbreviations. Include the purpose of the article, main findings, and principle conclusions. Although the abstract is at the beginning of the paper, it is often easier to write the paper and then go back and write your abstract.
- TABLE OF CONTENTS
- INTRODUCTION (overview of the topic – usually one to two paragraphs)
- REVIEW OF LITERATURE- (include summary of the policy, background on the development of the policy, relevant statistics, projected costs).
- Reference citations must be present within the body of the paper and should be included for all information obtained from an outside source. All reference citations should have a corresponding full reference listed on the reference page***Some APA resources have been placed in the Course materials section for your convenience. Here you will find information on writing a title page, how to paraphrase, how to cite references within the paper etc. You can also review a tutorial on APA 6th edition at the following link: http://www.apastyle.org/learn/tutorials/basics-tutorial.aspx
- In order to add depth to your paper, I fully anticipate students using supplemental references (journal articles, web sources, and books) in addition to the text book. A minimum of 5 scholarly references required. Please note that Wikipedia is not considered a scholarly source for use in academic papers- Please avoid using it J
- DISCUSSION – analysis of information (include discussion on how government programs/agencies will be affected and other pertinent background information issues related to the implementation of policy, special interest groups involved, political issues, unexpected costs, controversies etc)
- CONCLUSION – Based on information presented in discussion
- RECOMMENDATIONS – student’s personal thoughts regarding the policy or suggestions for change.
- REFERENCES: Students are responsible for the accuracy and completeness of references and must follow the APA guidelines for citations.
***Please note: Papers must include headings for each of the sections listed above. Headings should centered and capitalized.
Manuscript Preparation: Assignment should be prepared in Microsoft Office as a .doc or .docx file. The manuscript shall be typewritten double-spaced with 1″ margins on all four sides. The pages are to be numbered consecutively, beginning with the first page of text. The page number should in the upper right hand corner of each page. The font for the type should 12 point Times Roman or Times New Roman.
Text Requirements: The cover page should contain the title and author’s names. The abstract should be on a separate page. The Table of Contents should be on a separate page. The main text should begin on a separate page and be not less than 5 pages double-spaced pages. You may exceed 5 pages of text for the body of your paper. However, papers that are shorter in length will have points deducted.
Illustrations (optional): If tables, graphs, figures, etc., are included they should be appropriately identified.
Assignment Submission: Click on the Written Assignment # 2 hyperlink. Scroll down to Section 2: ‘Assignment Materials’. Below the Submission box is a section entitled ‘Attach File’. Click on the tab ‘Browse My Computer’ and upload the appropriate document from your hard drive. Click ‘Submit’ at the bottom of the page to submit your assignment.
* Please refrain from emailing assignments to the instructor.
* Remember that late assignments will not be accepted unless there is valid, documented reason as determined by the instructor.